Saturday, February 13, 2010

Mary Grace's Red Velvet Cake

This recipe came from my friend Jacqueline in the mid 1970's.
I used to make this cake in heart shaped pans every Valentine's Day. My children loved it. So here you go........
Thoroughly cream 1/2 cup Crisco ( vegetable shortening) and 1 and 1/2 cups white sugar.
Add to above: 1 small bottle (2 oz) red food colouring and 2 well beaten eggs. Beat together.
In a separate bowl mix together 2 cups (Brodie's) cake flour and one tablespoon cocoa.
Add the flour mixture to the cream mixture alternately with 1 cup of butter milk.
Mix in 1 teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon of wine vinegar.
Bake in 2 - 8" round pans (greased and floured) 350F for 30 to 35 minutes. Frost as desired. Enjoy with someone you love. I daresay that this cake will find a whole new following with the "Twilight" crowd.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Oh that sounds yummy! I'll have to write down the recipe and give it a try.
Thanks!