Monday, September 14, 2009

What a weekend!

Tremendous scare this weekend. I am wrung out and I have to get ready for work. My mother was taken by ambulance to emergency near where she lives and then transferred to London. They were going to use the Air Ambulance which she thought would be cool but when there was some mechanical problem she decided she did not want to "end up in some one's bean field." She has a tear in the aorta and at first look at the CT scan the emergency Dr's thought we were in a life or death situation. Hence the transfer to the big city hospital.
Mom was telling everyone she was "Ready to meet her maker" and "Don't mourn me when I'm gone." All phrases that send us into instant panic. She is presently in Critical Care here in London.

Our conversation with the vascular surgeon yesterday has us hopeful. Aortic Dissension is the medical term that she has but the tear is in the first lining ( there are 3) of the aorta. We had visions of the tear all the way through and bleeding into the chest cavity. It will not heal but with her blood pressure better managed she should be alright. There will be another CT Scan today to see what is going on and if the situation has not changed they will take her off the intravenous and give her meds by mouth. If the tear is larger they will have to do surgery and it is dangerous. We do not want to think about that.
Paul has crashed on my living room couch for the past 2 nights. My sister in law drove over 2 hours yesterday to bring him an over night bag. The three of us were at the hospital with Mom for a couple of hours then she had to drive back home before dark. She is an outstanding sister in law. I love her to bits. He has to go home today as soon as we know what is happening.

My other brother, David, is far away as are all the grand children, but one, and it has to be worse for them, waiting to get word, even though we call everyone the minute we know something, at least we are here. Suffice it to say the three of us are not ready to be orphan's. Lucille Ball and John Ritter had the same condition.

Oh, and I went to the Knitter's Fair on Sat. it was terrific; tell you about it later when things settle down around here.

2 comments:

Abbeysmum said...

Hi there, chin up....I discovered your blog a few weeks ago, all good wishes and prayers for your Mum to be better soon.

happyone said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope all goes well and will add her to my prayers.